Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Steampunk and Makers Fair

 I went to the Steampunk and Makers fair in Lafayette, and it was awesome, there were great costumes, great booths, great artists.  The Steampunk and Makers Fair, as I found out after going, is an annual fair that started about 4 years ago, sometimes the actual location changes, this time it was at the Parc International and the Lafayette Science Museum, but it is always in Lafayette. 
Steam Punk is a genre of science fiction that typically involves the American Wild West or Englands Victorian era inspired aesthetics and melds them with aspects of the era of Steam powered machinery for wonderful effects and usually has a distinct 'Do-It-Yourself' feel to it
Some of the outfits were amazing, and incredibly elaborate, like that of  The Captain, who is the man on the right in this photo.





 The vast majority of the items, with a wide variety of things from jewelry to soap to costume parts, were handmade by the vendors, and while the prices would vary depending on the piece, I think most of the prices were very reasonable for the amount of detail put into them.

Of course, for me, the greatest part of the Fair were the costumes, I love the detail and work that the wearers put into them, and some of them turned out  to be incredible.
 In this photo, the man was modeling one of his creations, a steampunk styled firearm, which he made himself, from scraps.  He also made a few which included parts like bottles, faucet knobs, and various other ingredients.


I will be breaking the pictures into a couple of posts to hopefully make it a little smoother, since I have a lot of photos. 

What do you think, do you like the flair of the Steam Punk style?

4 comments:

  1. Certainly unique and creative. I would have enjoyed this day and returned home with many creative ideals. Look forward to more great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the pictures in the next post may give you some creative ideas, because those ones will have some pictures from the shops.

      Delete
  2. I love these, Bob. It makes me think that there was some steam punk to Firefly. Great post! I look forward to more, too. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree, I believe Firefly had some steam punk style to it too, great show that was.

      Delete