Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The bugs and the trees.

 So, for the first few pictures, this is a young cicada, even if you've only seen the husks, you've probably heard them, this was the first time I saw a live one, and I think the wings on it look amazing.

                                        From the little research I've done, this is one of the 'Annual Cicada' group, specifically a "Dog Day" cicada.  Annual Cicada's have a life span of 2-5 years, and are the norm for most of the world.  In the North Eastern United States, there are types known as Periodical Cicadas, which swarm every 13 and 17 years, depending on the type.
       


This picture was just to show off how big it was,  I'd say, length wise was probably about finger-length, maybe finger and a half (very scientific measurements)
 This was just a picture that I took artistically, I thought the contrast of the shadow in the middle and the white flower/buds was pretty nice.  I don't know what kind of plant it is, but they are pretty common in the yard, I've seen them on their own, around pecan trees, pretty much anywhere.

In our backyard, we have an orchard with a couple apple trees, and they seem to be doing fair, we also have a pear tree near by, however, it doesn't bear any fruit yet.





Sorry this one looks a bit off, it's a small bug that was climbing on my shoulder while I was out mowing our yard, and I tried to take this photo with a regular camera.  This little bug looks like a leaf hopper to me, which are slightly bad for plants, but not terribly so.  Fun Fact:  There are more species of Leaf Hoppers than all species of mammals, amphibians, birds, and reptiles combined.  That is, a lot.   Source:  Planet Natural's webpage on Leaf Hoppers.


 This is one of our young pecan trees, around 7 years old or so I think, shown here with a person to show it's size.  The power lines are actually a good bit farther back and are in no danger of hitting the tree.    Pecans are a huge business around this area, when it's pecan season you can't turn almost a single corner in nearby Alexandria without going past someone buying them.  While they used to buy them to make stuff with them, most of the buyers just buy them to make Pecan Oil now, I think.


How do you think the photo's turned out?     Which do you think was the best?   Personally, I liked the first Cicada photo on the top left the best, because the wings in that one are very nice looking.   

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed the post.

8 comments:

  1. The flower, I believe is Elderberry. I like the first two the best. The cicada really does have pretty wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking it up, according to Cornell university, you are right, it looks like they are Elderberry http://www.fruit.cornell.edu/mfruit/elderberries.html

      Delete
  2. I like the pecan tree but I think you are right about the cicadas. These are really good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, I like our pecan trees to, especially during Pecan season haha.

      Delete
  3. I liked the bug pics, especially the 3rd one with it on the trunk. Also liked the tree pic. Is that Linda mowing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not mowing. Just checking for baby pecans...

      Delete
  4. The hoppers are plentiful here this year.

    Great photos. I see Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah, there was a bunch of them, but that one just kind of sat there, I think it wanted it's picture taken, thanks for stopping by

      Delete